Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mentions (b): Campo Creek

Mentions for wines I tasted at Campo Creek pruning event! Plenty of firsts, first Chateauneuf du Pape and Nero d'Avola. Grapes to add to my Quest for 100! Donn brought in the Chateauneuf du Pape and everyone who tasted it seem to have mixed feelings about it. Here are my thoughts on it!


Chateau de la Gardine Chateauneuf du Pape (1999) 

This is my first Chateauneuf du Pape. I cannot make up my mind if I enjoyed it. It was different from anything I have had before. It smells like cake batter (reminds me of a beaujolais), but not too sweet. Nectarines, red plums and a little blueberries. Light and not overwhelming. Had a sunburnt, over ripe taste to it (reminds me of the smell of clothes dried in the sun!). It was very dry. It might have been opened a little too late. OOo

There was a little too much hype about this. It sounded like it was going to blow my socks off but being an amateur, perhaps I just needed to taste more to understand.


Archeo Nero d'Avola Ruggero di Tasso Sicilia IGT (2009) 

 First time I am having this grape. Smells of dark berries, blackberry in particular not spicy, fruity but not jam-like. It is simple straightforward wine with good tannins. OOo

Honestly, with the number of wines that Saturday, the tasting was getting a little fuzzy. Got to train those taste buds!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment